Introduction to FEA with MSC Apex
MSC Apex is a contemporary FEA platform, that enables revolutionary, often patented, technology in a user-environment that is both straightforward and enjoyable to use. The powerful functionality within MSC Apex offers new thinking in how to define a strategy for understanding structural response, from simple components through to complex assemblies with many parts.
We’ve developed this course to;
- cover the background to APEX’S FUNDAMENTALS AND NEW CONCEPTS
- engage you in INTERESTING AND MEANINGFUL LESSONS
- guide you through RELEVANT TUTORIALS to support the type of FEA task you would find in an industrial setting.
Course Summary Video (1 Minute)
Course Detail Video (5 Minutes)
The course develops your understanding of the toolset and the many concepts it supports, allowing you to become productive with Apex’s functionality very quickly. You’ll become familiar with KEY WORKFLOWS, IMPROVED MODELING STRATEGY and the ANALYSIS BENEFITS achievable with this new paradigm that Apex offers.
All the taught and tutorial content is built around a REAL-WORLD CAD REPRESENTATION OF A UAV/DRONE AIR VEHICLE, which will advance your understanding from simple modeling tasks, through to looking at complex assemblies, model verification and using Apex as part of an external FEA workflow.
“The Spirit AeroSystems structures team and graduate engineers were today treated to an excellent MSC Apex Q&A Webinar with Steffan Evans (Evotech CAE Ltd), following on from the Evotech MSC Apex training course. Thank you!”
Dr Nick O’Brien O’Reilly, Chief Structures Engineer, Spirit Aerosystems
“Over the past few weeks, thanks to Steffan Evans from Evotech, and MSC Software, we have been able to get our heads around a new way of building FEA models with MSC Apex, through Evotech’s ‘Introduction to FEA with MSC Apex’ online course. Impressive stuff!”
Dr Matthew Acton, Structures Capability Lead – Team Tempest, BAE Systems
“Just completed the Evotech ‘Introduction to FEA with MSC Apex’ course. I think this is an excellent introduction to model build, and to solution with the inbuilt solver, or externally in Nastran. Excellent tuition from Dr Steffan Evans.”
Colin Binks, Principal Stress Engineer, Marshall Aerospace
What You’ll Learn
The course is taught through eight discrete lessons each approximately 90 minutes long. These include;
– covering a brief introduction to FEA, MSC Apex, the user environment and a complete Propeller Blade worked example
Model Build (1D/2D)
– covering 1D/2D modeling strategy/element choices and properties, geometry/idealisation for 1D/2D modeling and a ‘Stiffened Plate’ worked example
Model Build (3D)
– covering 3D modeling strategy/element choices for both ‘Tet’ and ‘Hex’ meshing, geometry/idealisation for solid modeling and a ‘Rotor Hub’ worked example
– covering model attribution, isotropic/2D orthotropic and composite materials, loads and boundary conditions and a ‘Loaded Plate’ worked example
– covering glue, edge tie, connector and discrete tie/joints and a ‘Glue/Connector’ worked example
– covering part/assembly structure, manipulation, verification and a ‘Drone Assembly’ worked example
– covering analysis readiness, simulation scenarios, analysis, post-processing and a ‘Drone Analysis’ worked example
External FEA Workflow
– covering companion, external MSC Nastran and orphan mesh workflows and an ‘External MSC Nastran’ worked example
Start Learning the Incredible MSC Apex Technology Today!
PER NAMED USER
- Become Proficient with Apex Fast
- Fully-Interactive Course Access
- 12 Hours On-Demand Video
- Downloadable Tutorial Material
- Real-World FEA Examples
- Online Course Access for One Year
This course is developed and delivered by Dr Steffan Evans, Director and Lead FEA Engineer of UK-based Evotech CAE Ltd, an MSC Software UK Business Partner. Dr Evans has over 20 years’ experience of the practical usage of advanced FEA techniques in diverse industrial settings.
This has included the development and delivery of many training courses and programs covering FEA fundamentals, industry application of the technology, alongside direct teaching in how to get the most from your commercial FEA software.
His relaxed, yet engaging presentation style, specifically with the many MSC Apex-focused training courses, webinar series and product launches he has supported, have allowed him to develop global recognition as ‘The Apex Guy’.
What are the course pre-requisites?
A basic knowledge of strength of materials and CAD modeling is recommended. No previous knowledge of FEA is required.
How is the course structured?
The course is built using an enterprise-level Learning Management System, ensuring a great learning experience. Any lesson or topic can be paused, skipped or reviewed at any time.
Who is this course aimed at?
The course is aimed at both new users, who want to hit the ground running with Apex, and experienced users who want to ensure they have a comprehensive understanding of how to get the most from the software.
I already know FEA - what will this course give me?
Apex is perhaps the most powerful yet easy to use FEA software on the market today. There are many novel and patented technologies, which have the potential to offer massive efficiency gains over legacy toolsets. Many users talk about a ’10X’ improvement in their model build and verification process.
What software will I need access to?
You’ll find the tutorials more engaging if you have access to an MSC Apex installation. A 30-day free trial is available here.
What teaching methods are used?
The course consists of 8 discrete lessons (each taking approximately 90 minutes to complete), each lesson is broken down into 5 smaller topics (each taking a maximum of around 15 minutes to complete). The course is taught through a series of narrated videos, made up of a combination of explainer slides and on-screen demos, backed up with user tutorials.
What teaching materials are available as 'take-aways'?
All tutorial PDF and supporting electronic data (CAD, FEA and scripts) are available for download, allowing you to perform the tutorials at your own pace.
What is this course not?
We’ll give you an overview of practical FEA usage, but won’t go into huge amounts of detail regarding the mathematics of the solution (such as element shape functions, matrix manipulation or energy methods). The course is focused on linear analysis techniques (static, modal and buckling) – you’ll need to look elsewhere for more advanced topics, such as non-linear, thermo-structural and fluid flow analysis etc.